Saturday, March 7, 2015

Design For Media I: Atmosphere, High Key, and Low Key

The below scene if from the movie 'Book of Eli'.  The project asked for five things:

-A scene from a movie reduced to five values (upper left)

-That same scene rendered via specific line methods such as cross hatching, stipling, etc (lower left)

-An excerpt of the scene done in high key values (upper right)

-An excerpt of the scene done in low key values (lower right).

-For the excerpts to be done in paints to show we have a basic understanding of mixing paints.

This is the project I handed in:


Again this project is just busy work because either you get this concept and you can render it either digitally with little effort or manually with a lot of effort.  Sensing the tedium in this I asked my teacher the following, "You mind if I do a full rendition of the this picture via oils on canvas?"

This is the picture I asked replace the above tedium:


This picture has all the prerequisites.  High and low key areas, atmospheric perspective, and to do it well most DEFINITELY takes a good understanding of manipulating paints.  If you don't know how to mix paints you have no freaking prayer of even coming close to getting this done.

And this exemplifies the crux I've have with this design class.  I have a great and knowledgable teacher.  Interesting directions.  But absolutely nonsense limitations for those that want to reach higher.  I wanted to do something that could make people go, "Wow.  That's awesome."  Possibly even, "Are you willing to sell that?"

But instead it will be regulated to a spot in my storage bin.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment